Changing from WordPress.com to WordPress.org
Many bloggers start with a free WordPress.com website and then want to make the transition to a self-hosted WordPress.org website site for more control and professionalism. However, the greatest concern is taking all the great content you have already created and moving it over to the new self-hosted site.
Here is a video tutorial on moving all your content over to a new site. Keep in mind that you would sign up for Bluehost first and then perform the migration through your WordPress dashboards.
- Login to the WordPress Dashboard.
- Click Tools.
- Click Export.
Click Download Export File.
If your domain has a WordPress blog on it and it’s not through wordpress.com, then you will need to:
- Export your blog.
- Change the name servers to point to ns1.BlueHost.com & ns2.BlueHost.com.
- Wait 24-72 hours for DNS propagation time.
- Then import it using WordPress installed with bluehost tools.
- Login to the WordPress Dashboard at the new domain name.
- Click on Tools and then select Import.
- Scroll down the page to the bottom.
- Click the link that says WordPress.
- Click Browse and open the file that was exported.
- Click Upload file and import.
Create or select the author for all posts. Mark the checkbox for import file attachments. Click Submit. The WordPress content has now been imported.
Do you have a self-hosted blog? If so, what tips do you have for others? If not, do you have any questions? Let us know in the comments section below.